A subluxation is a term used to describe a joint (often spinal vertebrae) that may be misaligned and/or lost its proper motion. These misalignments often occur in the spinal vertebrae (bones of the spine) but they can also occur in the joints of the arms and legs. When the subluxations/misalignments occur in the spine, the vertebrae (bones of the spine) can affect the spinal nerves creating pain and muscle spasm.
When these misalignments occur, Dr. Nevel will “adjust” the bones which restores the normal motion. The chiropractic adjustment, also called chiropractic manipulation, is usually done with the chiropractor’s hands by applying a specific quick thrust to the misaligned bone. Chiropractic adjustments can release nitrogen gas within the joint which makes the “pop” or “crack” associated with the manipulation. While most patients prefer traditional hand adjustments, Sport & Spinal Rehab also offers low-force chiropractic adjustment completed with the aid of instruments such an Activator, SOT blocks, Artho-Stim adjuster, or flexion/distraction.
Joint misalignments can have 5 components that contribute to your pain.
- Bone component: When the bone is misaligned, the joint does not move properly. Eventually the joint will degenerate and arthritis sets in. The degenerative joint disease in the spine will cause bone spurs and narrowing between the vertebrae where the nerves pass as they exit the spine. This degeneration will create nerve irritation and impingement.
- Nerve component: Nerves carry signals and information to every cell in your body. Spinal misalignments will disrupt the normal nerve signal, creating distorted messages. When the signals from the brain are distorted over time, the cells, tissues and organs where these nerves travel to are affected with various diseases and conditions. Common conditions caused by nerve signal distortion include ear aches, acid reflux (GERD), constipation, carpal tunnel syndrome, sciatica, as well as many organ system diseases many people do not correlate with spinal misalignments.
- Muscular component: Since muscles connect to bones, muscles are an integral component to joint misalignments. A misalignment (subluxation) will cause nerve irritation which causes the muscle around the joint to spasm. This muscle spasm can further misalign the joint, creating a vicious cycle. A muscle injury such as a pulled muscle can also create spasm which can cause a joint misalignment, nerve irritation, and further muscle spasm. A patient with a simple muscle pull should visit their Jupiter chiropractor to make sure the soft tissue and bones heal quickly and properly.
- Soft tissue component: Soft tissues like tendons, ligaments, and cartilage often surround bones and joints. Misalignments to bones will create abnormal tension and pressure on these tissues resulting in further injury. Spinal misalignments can create abnormal forces on the discs between the vertebrae and over time can create debilitating injuries such as disc herniations and spinal stenosis.
- Chemical component: When misalignments occur and create nerve and joint irritation, the body releases pro-inflammatory chemicals such as “kinins” to try to heal the injury.
Without correction of the underlying joint misalignments, inflammation, chronic pain, bone spurs, disc herniations, soft tissue injuries, and a host of various diseases can occur. While good eating habits and exercise are vital to your well-being, a healthy nervous system without joint misalignments and subluxations are crucial for true health and a pain-free life. Dr. Brandon Nevel, a chiropractor serving Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens, is trained in the detection, location, and correction of misalignments in the spine and extremities.